20 April 2005

Billmon Dissects Coulter's TIME Spread

Caution--frequent sexual references--Dictynna.

Scoundrel Time

Luce's politics had hardened in the postwar years and Time had become increasingly Republican. He had been stunned by Truman's defeat of Dewey in 1948. Then in the fall of 1949 China had fallen, the Democratic administration had failed to save Chiang, and that was too much. Truman, and even more, Acheson, would have to pay the price. Time was now committed and politcized, an almost totally partisan instrument. The smell of blood was in the air. There was a hunger now in Luce to put a Republican back in power.

David Halberstam
The Powers That Be
1979


When I saw that Time magazine had chosen Ann Coulter as its Miss April, my first instinct – after I stopped retching, I mean – was to suspect an ulterior political motive.

I mean, Ann may think her cover photo was unflattering (a crime against humanity would be my term for it)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home