30 April 2005

Echidne: On Flannel Knickers and Feminism

The Concerned Women of America is a group of anti-feminists, a little like the Independent Women's Forum except that the latter group would wear G-strings and the Concerned Women long flannel knickers. And the Concerned Women have a male as their spokesperson. Otherwise the two wingnut organizations are pretty much in agreement about what has caused all the problems of this country: feminism. Except when feminism has been totally ignored and ridiculed and proven faulty. But even in those cases all that is wrong in the world (abortions, latchkey children, women with beards, impotent men, messy houses, divorces, the decline of America's military power and so on and on) is the fault of feminism. Though it has also been totally defeated and was ridiculous to begin with.

This short summary may explain why I don't write about these groups' ideas very much. To criticize them I have to chase an idea around a circle, leap over cooked-up evidence and turn around a corner just to find that the idea has morphed into its opposite. And everything they propose is covered with this slippery slime of emotional references to mom and apple-pie and how much better times were when women didn't have the vote.

3 Comments:

At November 30, 2005 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dictynna, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on wood working project for kid, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about wood working project for kid.

 
At December 06, 2005 6:51 PM, Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi Dictynna, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on wood working machinery auction when I found your page. Your site describing Echidne: On Flannel Knickers and Feminism is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on wood working machinery auction then drop by the site above and check it out.

 
At December 08, 2005 2:53 AM, Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi there Dictynna, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on free wood working catalog I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for free wood working catalog. Should the need ever arise where you need information on free wood working catalog then drop by for a look.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home