26 May 2005

The religious right’s stealth politics

I’d have much more respect -- okay, some respect -- for religious rightists if they would simply start telling the truth about their strategic goals. Ever since their more visible political ascendancy in the 1990s, they have back-doored the public realm. Implicitly through their words and actions they’ve admitted they can’t win fairly and honestly. They know the American public won’t buy what they’re selling, so they get sneaky.

Don’t take my words for it. Take those of their own, the most famous, I suppose, being Ralph Reed’s goofy 1991 comment that "I want to be invisible. I do guerrilla warfare. I paint my face and travel at night. You don't know it's over until you're in a body bag. You don't know until election night."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home