14 July 2005

The Poor Man: Getting Over Ourselves

Fri 15 Jul 2005

Andrew Sullivan writes:

LOOKING BACK: In 2000, the word ‘blog’ barely existed in common discourse; and I had to beg TV producers to cite it under my name. Those were the Clinton years, believe it or not. And the last five years have contained as much news and drama as most decades. But looking back, I can honestly say I have not been taken completely by surprise by the blogosphere’s amazing success. It seemed clear to me from the very start that once you allowed publishing independently of editors or publishers, a revolution was imminent. In the early days, I played a part in pioneering some blog tropes: media micro-criticism, instant news judgment, phony awards, political mini-campaigns (against Lott, Raines or torture), money quotes, etc. These are now staples of the genre. I also hoped that one day, a lone writer could finance himself this way - and so really break the MSM monopoly.

This coincides nicely with my unveiling of this exciting new expanded and greatly enhanced version of The Poor Man, which I have given the jaunty little name “The Poor Man Cafe”, or “TPM Cafe” for short. What this means for you, the reader, is that I will be typing all my posts while puffing on a clove cigarette and drinking $7 a cup exotic coffee flown in at great expense from Ooga-Booga Land, the only place on Earth where you can still buy Brim. Also, anyone who manages to scald their crotch with their laptop while reading one of my piping-hot blog posts gets a year’s subscription to The Poor Man Cafe - absolutely free! The Poor Man Cafe is available at all fine internets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home