22 November 2005

Sifu Tweety for The Poor Man: They can call it Neo Orleans

I was reminded by this post at Right Hand Thief that I’d decided it was time for me to do some constructive New Orleans blogging. Don’t get me wrong, I’m as convinced as ever that no engineering solution is likely to keep the city safe (as Mayor Nagin says, “There is no science to build a Category 5 levee protection now”), but obviously, it’s going to be rebuilt anyways. Given that, I have to say that some portions of the army of urban planners descending on the city are doing some very good work:

Firing off a collection of bold ideas, the group also proposed creating a public development corporation that would buy and sell property to speed the city’s redevelopment; establishing an oversight board with broad powers over the city’s finances; and engineering a secondary flood-control network inside the city that would use natural ridges, levees, water reservoirs, and green space to stop widespread flooding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home