16 January 2006

lowkell at Daily Kos: Awesome Slam of "Marriage Amendment" by Freshman Delegate

Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 10:04:50 AM PDT

This speech, by freshman Virginia Del. David Englin (D-45), is so good it deserves to be broadcast all over the Commonwealth. For that matter, David Englins' words deserve to be distributed anywhere state or national legislatures are discussing "defense of marriage" measures. In reality, as we all know, these are nothing but pandering to homophobic bigotry and far right-wing social "conservatives" (aka, the bedroom police). Here, Del. Englin - a strong Progressive and "fighting Dem" if I've ever met one - takes it right to the hypocrites and moral cowards. Good for you, David. I'm proud that I worked to help send you to Richmond; you ROCK! Now here's the speech (bolding added for emphasis):

Mr. Speaker, I rise in strong opposition to this resolution. I'm not going to talk about same-sex marriage. I'm no fool -- although others might make a different judgement about a freshman delegate rising in this chamber on the third day of session. But I understand that on the issue of marriage, I'm in the minority, perhaps even in my own caucus. I also sleep very well at night knowing that at some point in the future of this great Commonwealth, those of us of my opinion will be judged to have been on the right side of history. But let's for a moment forget about the question of same-sex marriage, because this amendment addresses much more than that. We need to be clear and honest: This amendment also outlaws civil unions and domestic partnerships and other similar private legal arrangements.

We have heard from the other side that this constitutional amendment is necessary to protect conventional marriage. I am blessed with a beautiful and brilliant wife who is the love of my life. In June, Shayna and I will celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary, and I would fight with every ounce of my strength anything that would threaten my marriage. So I would like to know, how exactly civil unions and domestic partnerships and other similar arrangements threaten my marriage?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home