17 April 2006

Barbara Ehrenreich: Living Wage Campaign at U-Va

Friday I’m working my down an ever-expanding to-do list when I get a call from Joe Szakos, director of the Virginia Organizing Project, with the news that 17 students are sitting in at a University of Virginia administrative building, demanding a living wage for all U-Va employees. The fight over wages at U-Va has been going on for about 15 years, but no one expected something like this on the staid campus whose founder is still referred as “Mr. Jefferson,” as if he might come ambling around the lawn at any moment. My assignment from Joe – to call one of the sitters-in and express my support – moves right to the top of the to-do list.

Lauren, the woman whose cell phone I’m assigned to call, sounds a little breathless and distracted. Or maybe she’s just light-headed from hunger, because, as she explains, the university administration has spitefully blocked food deliveries to the protestors. I tell her I live in the community and I’m thrilled with what she’s doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home