20 December 2006

Digby: Breaking Away

I think everyone knows I'm a godless hippie and all, but I am fascinated by the subjects of politics and history so naturally I find myself constantly reading about religion. It's all related.

So this story by Bruce Wilson at Talk to Action about the Episcopalian break-away over gay rights piques my interest:
Yesterday, seven Virginia Episcopal churches including two of the largest and wealthiest in the American Episcopal Communion voted to break away and, as a New York Times story written prior to the vote put it, "report to the powerful archbishop of Nigeria, Peter Akinola, an outspoken opponent of homosexuality who supports legislation in his country that would make it illegal for gay men and lesbians to form organizations, read gay literature or eat together in a restaurant." " Commentor Jim Naughton, who writes the "Daily Episcopalian", noted "this no longer seems to be a debate about the proper role of gay and lesbians Christians in the Church, but about the moral legitimacy of rolling back human rights for minorities"...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home