04 December 2007

'Giuliani Time': Just When You Thought You Knew How Evil He Is

By Lisa Gray-Garcia, AlterNet
Posted on December 4, 2007, Printed on December 4, 2007
http://www.alternet.org/story/69409/

"Peddlers, panhandlers and prostitutes, they all need to be cleaned out [of Manhattan]." The first time I heard Rudy Giuliani speak was on a NBC nightly news broadcast. It was 1996. I was living in Oakland, Calif., at the time -- 3,000 miles away from Manhattan, where, as mayor, Giuliani was implementing his "clean-up campaign." But the sting of his speech still scared me.

It was the first time I had heard hygienic metaphors to describe poor people like me who were surviving in an underground street-based economy. Rudy Giuliani had become mayor of New York City on a campaign that constructed a new scapegoat for all of America's crime problems: "the squeegee man" (aka a person who cleans car windows at stop lights).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home