05 July 2009

FDR's Second Bill of Rights and the Progressive Mission

by Vikingkingq
Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 02:08:53 PM PDT

Introduction:

In the spirit of the best 4th of July speeches, which like Frederick Douglass' peerless effort seek not to satiate with platitudes but rather to challenge and provoke, today I offer a reflection on America's past and its future.

At the end of "Resurrecting Henry George," I argued that a national housing assistance program would "help to make one more of FDR’s Second Bill of Rights, "the right of every family to a decent home," a legal reality. I would argue, and I will argue in future posts, that the longer-term mission of the progressive movement in America is (and has unconsciously been) the realization of the Second Bill of Rights." So today I intend to explain what I meant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home