05 April 2011

How the Medicare-Destroying GOP Budget Plan Could Kill Me (And You)

By Steven D, 1410
Posted on April 5, 2011, Printed on April 5, 2011
http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/550371/how_the_medicare-destroying_gop_budget_plan_could_kill_me_%28and_you%29

Editor\'s note: Today, Wisconsin Republican Paul Ryan introduced a budget proposal that would essentially eliminate Medicare and Medicaid as we know it. Under Ryan\'s plan, people who are 54 years old or younger would give up their guaranteed benefits in exchange for vouchers that would go towards buying insurance in an exchange. But the value of the vouchers would grow much more slowly than health-care costs,meaning that seniors would gradually bear more of the burden for their health-care. As Josh Marshall put it, "Now, what if you can\'t buy as much as insurance or as much care as you need? Well, start saving now or just too bad." Meanwhile, Medicaid, which services the poor and disabled, including many seniors, would be phased out in favor of block grants distributed to the states. Meanwhile, the proposal slashes taxes on corporations and the wealthiest Americans resulting in far less deficit reduction than promised.

The Republicans have a plan to destroy Medicare.

If enacted I will likely die an early death as will my wife.

A little background: I have a chronic autoimmune disorder that forced me to retire from my profession over ten years ago. The drugs I take each year (and I take mostly generic versions of those medications) cost roughly $5,000 last year. With insurance, the amount I paid for those drugs cost about $1,200.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home