17 November 2011

4 Ways the Poor Get Screwed That Everyone Takes for Granted

By William Hogeland, AlterNet
Posted on November 11, 2011, Printed on November 17, 2011

I'm not in the 1%. At the lower end of what I think of as the upper middle class, I nevertheless take daily advantage of a raft of systems intended to ensure that people who have less money than I do pay more than I do. Since my economic advantages result from public policy, it's fair to call them taxes, levied on people least able to afford them and applied upward for the benefit of people like me. Since the glory days of feudalism are long over, and we don't like to revel in high position, matters are arranged to keep me and people like me from noticing the systemic nature of our economic advantage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home