21 November 2005

Come Home Again, America

By Terrence McNally, AlterNet. Posted November 21, 2005.

George McGovern, subject of a new documentary, discusses the bright and shining moments of his 1972 presidential campaign and how it changed politics forever.

In 1972 at the age of 23, I packed all my belongings in a used van and drove to Mexico. In the high desert mountains of San Miguel Allende, I created an idyllic life for myself, paying $30 a month to live with other would-be artists and yoga folk, buying fresh produce every day in the mercado. But I still read the International Time Magazine and the International Tribune, and I began to learn about a little-known senator from South Dakota, who was exceeding expectations and actually winning Democratic primaries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home