28 April 2006

Barbara Ehrenreich: The Laid-off as Lepers

I just got another letter helpfully explaining how I went wrong in my Bait and Switch job search, this from David in Milwaukee, who writes:

…about the time I got into the third chapter, “Surviving Boot Camp,” I felt like I was reading a work of fiction. My reasons are several. First, I was surprised at your naiveté concerning resumes, internet boards and networking with the unemployed. Second, I couldn’t believe a smart, accomplished woman would be unable to see through the “career coach” scam and avoid it like the plague… Resumes are an outdated, overused form that … are pretty much a waste of paper…

He goes on, at some length, as have many other writers (some of them on this website’s forum.) Career coaches have written to tell me I should have hired them, rather than the ninnies I actually employed, and that they are still available, should I wish to resume my search. Some letter writers have derided me for going to job fairs: What are you – a moron? Many have scolded me for going to networking events attended by other unemployed people. Better to network with the mail carrier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home