13 August 2005

The Mahablog: NARAL and Double Standards

I haven't yet said anything about NARAL's infamous John Roberts "bombing" ad because I hadn't had time to check it out for myself. I knew the Right was worked up into a froth about it, but this means little. The Right works itself into a froth every time a liberal so much as clears his throat. The mere mention of the name "Hillary" sends them into violent paroxysms of indignation that are the chief cause of crop circles and may contribute to global warming. Rightie outrage is no measure of outrageousness.
But I don't give NARAL a pass, either. Although I agree with their goals, NARAL is capable of strategic blunders. For example, years ago (in the 1970s, I think, although it might have been later) I signed on as a member, and I loyally paid dues and sent an occasional donation. But southern Ohio, where I lived at the time, was swimming in anti-privacy propaganda. The Fetus People not only had taken over radio, television, and most of local print media; they'd also bought up most of the billboard space. All over the land, giant talking fetii begged their mommies not to kill them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home